At Alouf Aesthetics Dentistry we work hard to help our patients keep their teeth. With the advancements in dentistry through the years, people are keeping their teeth much longer. However, sometimes the only option is to remove hopeless teeth and make a denture. Some people who wear full dentures and have no remaining natural teeth are under the impression that they no longer need to have regular dental visits. For several reasons, seeing a dentist regularly is a good idea for denture wearers.
The stability and comfort of dentures depends on the foundation that supports them. Healthy gums and enough bone to support dentures are essential. Dr. Alouf recommends a denture maintenance appointment at least once a year. At this visit, we check the denture for proper fit and need for repair. We remove the denture and check the health of the gum tissue under it. A head and neck soft tissue exam for oral cancer is completed.
We clean and polish the denture in our lab and Dr. Alouf makes any necessary adjustments or repairs that are needed.
Tips for denture care:
- When handling your dentures, stand over a folded towel or basin of water. Dentures can break if dropped.
- When not wearing your dentures, put them in safe place covered in water. Never use hot water on dentures, which can cause them to change shape.
- Rinse your denture before brushing to remove any loose food or debris.
- Brush your denture with a soft toothbrush and liquid soap. Never use toothpaste which can scratch the denture.
- Brush your gums, tongue, and the roof of your mouth every morning with a soft toothbrush before you insert your dentures. This helps prevent odor and reduce irritation.
Regular preventative care can increase the life of your dentures and keep your mouth healthy.